Siirry pääsisältöön

Thoughts on the Orientation Week

 The orientation week for the ICT Expert training at JAMK is over. Eight days of new, at times even baffling and complex information and course introductions. I’m sure I’m not the only in our group who felt like being thrown out of an airplane above an ocean and told to swim. In the end, most things fell into place and I’m starting next week’s studies with an open mind and an enthusiastic spirit (enthusiastic is one of my favourite words to teach my *EFL students, by the way!)

Things on my mind at the beginning of the orientation week and the outcomes:


Will I be out of place among people who have prior knowledge of coding?

No. I wasn’t the only one without any prior experience. There should be around 10 beginners (me included). But it didn’t even really matter as everyone, even those with plenty of work experience in IT, were very kind and helpful. No one was judgemental.


What if I change my mind and realise software development is not for me after all? What if I regret resigning from my job?

Oh boy, this was on my mind a lot after the first day. However, at no point was I regretting my decision to leave my teaching job in Äänekoski. Travelling up to four hours a day with work days reaching twelve hours or even more was ballistic. And that wasn’t even the worst part. That was to be unemployed for more than six months a year because the autumn/spring terms in adult education centres are so short.

 But what about software development then? Is it the right career choice for me? Luckily, the orientation week didn’t scare me off. I feel even more sure about my choice. IT and coding are super interesting. It feels good to finally be part of a community that creates, innovates, works hard and is there to create the future.


Is this training going to offer me what I need?

Yes and no. I think this course is going to give me the base where to lean on. However, I knew even before the orientation week started that if I ever wished to work in this field, I’d need to work my butt off independently as well. This course alone is not going to be the magic wand for employment. Especially for a noob like me. But I’m determined to make the most of it, little by little, step by step.

If you are a beginner like me, remember: you can do it, too. We can do it!



*English as Foreign Language



Kommentit

Tämän blogin suosituimmat tekstit

Things I’ve learned in June 🌞

Python (the basics) 🐍 Calculations Types and conversions Conditions Loops (while, for) Googling like there’s no tomorrow More advanced CSS Bootstrap (for CSS) 🥾 Grid (rows, columns) Containers (automatically responsive!) Buttons Font Awesome icons (so easy and cool) Designing wireframes with Figma 🎨 Color theory and font theory     JAMK courses I’ve completed: Web techniques  Python basic course (the exercises, there’s still the exam left) 👏👏👏

Self-study Saturday #1 - HTML

 Today I started studying something amazing. Udemy’s Full Stack course by Angela Yu, the founder of the London App Brewery.   It’s a comprehensive course on HTML, CSS and JavaScript. The teacher Angela is so well-spoken, articulate and supportive that learning with her is easy and truly inspiring. I’ve decided to commit every Saturday morning for this course. That is, if I can keep my hands off of it. Things I learned today: HTML attributes Comments <!- -  - -> <em> is better than <i>, and <strong> is better than <b> Some of the biggest IT gurus have homepages only with HTML (so don’t be too ashamed of your first 90s style site). John Kleinberg is a good example. Cool websites I discovered today: Codepen.io (try HTML, CSS and Javascript) W3schools.com (HTML codes) Devdocs.io (HTML codes) Internet Archive Wayback Machine (see how famous websites looked back in the day) Unicode-table.com (emojis for HTML) With the help of the course I started building m