Siirry pääsisältöön

Week 1 at JAMK - Git & Gitlab + HTML/CSS

 The first week at JAMK (Jyväskylä University of Applied Sciences) is over.

Courses I studied:

- Git & Gitlab (studied and completed wohoo)

- Web techniques (1/7 done)


Learning method: independent studying

I need to elaborate a bit more. It came as a bit of a surprise to most of the students that after the orientation week we’ll basically just study alone, there are no lessons. There are videos that the teachers filmed some years ago but that’s it. We’ll never meet the teachers in person. Thank goodness we have a lovely teacher tutor Maarit in the classroom to help us when we get stuck. That is one of the reasons why I decided to study on site at the Dynamo campus. Furthermore, it is easier to concentrate at school than at home. So my daily routine is to go to school at 9 and leave at around 3 or 4.

Even though independent studying was a great disappointment, there is one surprising benefit: I can set my own pace.

_________________________

Git & Gitlab

I dived into the deep end by starting with the gitlab course. Here are some of my most important notes:

Markdown formatting for .md-files

#H1

##H2

###H3

####H4

**bold** or _bold_

~~deleted~~

*cursive*

’’’important’’’












Git commands I learned

mkdir - create folder

git clone - clones file

pwd - ”present working directory”, checks where you currently are

git status - checks changes

cd - ”change directory”, enter another folder

cd .. - go back

ls - ”list” of content

git add file_name.md - adds a certain file

git add . - adds all (this is a life saviour!)

git commit -m ”write down changes” - commit that needs to written before pushing. It’s a must.

git push - push into Gitlab and pray for no errors


The most important thing I learned through trial and error: markdown is case sensitive! 😂


___________________________

Web techniques course: HTML/CSS

After completing the Gitlab course I decided to start studying HTML and CSS with the Web techniques course. The first week’s material was easy and mostly familiar to me. But it was interesting to learn about CSS more.


New CSS styling I learned:

font  <p style=”font-family:arial;”>Text</p>

font size <p style=”font-size:300%;”>Text</p>

color <p style=”color:blue;”>Text</p>

background color <body style=”background-color:blue;”></body>

border creates a box around text

padding defines the space inside the box

margin defines the space outside the box


First week at school is done! 💪



Kommentit

Tämän blogin suosituimmat tekstit

Things I’ve learned in June 🌞

Python (the basics) 🐍 Calculations Types and conversions Conditions Loops (while, for) Googling like there’s no tomorrow More advanced CSS Bootstrap (for CSS) 🥾 Grid (rows, columns) Containers (automatically responsive!) Buttons Font Awesome icons (so easy and cool) Designing wireframes with Figma 🎨 Color theory and font theory     JAMK courses I’ve completed: Web techniques  Python basic course (the exercises, there’s still the exam left) 👏👏👏

Self-study Saturday #1 - HTML

 Today I started studying something amazing. Udemy’s Full Stack course by Angela Yu, the founder of the London App Brewery.   It’s a comprehensive course on HTML, CSS and JavaScript. The teacher Angela is so well-spoken, articulate and supportive that learning with her is easy and truly inspiring. I’ve decided to commit every Saturday morning for this course. That is, if I can keep my hands off of it. Things I learned today: HTML attributes Comments <!- -  - -> <em> is better than <i>, and <strong> is better than <b> Some of the biggest IT gurus have homepages only with HTML (so don’t be too ashamed of your first 90s style site). John Kleinberg is a good example. Cool websites I discovered today: Codepen.io (try HTML, CSS and Javascript) W3schools.com (HTML codes) Devdocs.io (HTML codes) Internet Archive Wayback Machine (see how famous websites looked back in the day) Unicode-table.com (emojis for HTML) With the help of the course I started building m